I got a cleaned up dose of what it might be like to live in a war zone this weekend thanks to Chicago's annual air and water show. Blue Angel fighter jets howled overhead as I sat gnawing on popsicles and frantically trying to finish my Book Club book "A History of Love" at Foster Beach on Saturday. The planes, all doing loopdie-loops and flying in tight formation, were way quieter the day before when I was directly under them at North Beach with my friend, Anna. Anna is an incredibly creative baker, cook, and writer of blogolicious Cookie Madness. She hit Chi-town with her daughter this week. I got to meet up with them to watch Bill Murray jump out of a plane (part of the air show). At least, we think it was Bill Murray. At 3,000 feet who can really tell?
Our visit made me want a daughter in a major way (no offense little maybe-son, I'll love you too), but how cool to have a girls' trip like the one they had. I suppose boys like to vacation too though, no?
Culinary Idea of the Day: Make an angel food cake. Fold in blue food coloring. Provide ear plugs and invite your friends over for a Blue Angel party. Works best if you all know sign language.